Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I was just arrested and I'm not even sure what all of my chargers are. I don't know where to get started with everything.

Asked on 10/09/12, 3:05 pm

5 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

Talking to a good criminal defense is a start.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/12, 3:08 pm

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

What you got arrested for and what you may be charged with are often different. First things first - do NOT discuss your situation with anyone except an attorney in a confidential setting. Assume that anything you say will come back to haunt you in court.

Next - Don't miss any court dates. If you have any paperwork from when you were arrested, make sure you don't ignore any important dates.

And - obviously, you're going to need a lawyer. Your attorney (I'd strongly suggest somebody who focuses on criminal defense and who routinely practices in the court where your case will be heard) should be able to listen to what happened and figure out why you were arrested... or they can make a few calls to find out.

You don't even say if it's for a felony or a misdemeanor or the type of charges that are possible, so... sit down with an attorney and discuss it face to face.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/12, 5:18 pm
Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

Your first step is to get a lawyer. If you are unable to afford one the court will appoint one on your first appearance.. If you need more time to get a lawyer ask the judge on your first appearance and he/she will give you more time.

Another important point is not to talk to anyone besides a lawyer about your case. In particular do not talk to police officers or a representative of the District Attorney's office.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/12, 5:22 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

When charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or statement be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? Effective plea-bargaining, using those defenses, could possibly reduce the potential ‘time’ and other penalties you face. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, programs, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. I’ll be happy to help fight this and get the best outcome possible, using whatever defenses there may be.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/12, 6:29 pm
Theresa Hofmeister Theresa Hofmeister, Attorney At Law

a consensus! Talk to some criminal defense attorneys local to where the case will be heard. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 10/09/12, 6:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California