Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Can a Canadian citizen use a Canadian lawyer to file charges civil/crimminal in a California court. Thanks

Asked on 5/24/13, 7:37 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Criminal charges can only be filed by the government. Even private American lawyers hired by American clients can't do that. Neither can Canadian lawyers hired by Canadian clients.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 7:40 pm

Phillip D. Wheeler, Esq. Phillip D. Wheeler, Attorney At Law

The lawyer may not file criminal charges against you.

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 7:54 pm
Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

To file civil case you will need a Canadian attorney admitted to California Bar or a California Attorney....

Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 8:20 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

No. A criminal case in California can only be filed by a District Attorney or a City Attorney (in cities that utilize this system.) That prosecutor is a government employee, and has the discretion by law to decide whether or not to file charges.

A civil case may be filed in California using either an attorney admitted to practice law in California, or an individual representing themselves.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/13, 4:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California