Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I am being charged with Grand Theft and Forgery in Los Angeles. I buy and sell cars occasionally and what happened was I bought a car from someone and flipped it to someone else without putting it in my name. My mistake is that I forged a bill of sale in the titleholders name. So even though I didn't actually steal anything they're charging me with Grand Theft. The forgery part was just to help the new owner be able to register the car so there was no intent to pretend to be the actual titleholder. Anyway they want to stick me with two years state prison as I do have a prior fraud convention from 2005. I'm going to find out what deal they're going to offer me and I'll have to decide to fight this in a jury trial or take some kind of deal which probably won't be something I'll like. So is there a decent chance of being found "Not Guilty"??

Asked on 6/18/13, 12:38 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

No one can predict your chances of a not guilty verdict. Stop admitting on open forums details of the incident, those admissions can be used against you... You should not be finding out what deal they will offering you, you should be finding an attorney. Represent yourself and you will end up in prison.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 6:34 am

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

First you should not be admitting guilt on a public forum. Second you need to speak with an attorney and have an attorney to represent you. Do not represent yourself. If any attorney says they can guarantee they can get you off, I would run out of their office asap. If you are looking to hire a private attorney feel free to call my office at 818 345 0123

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter or retainer agreement hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 11:14 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I can't tell you the merits of your case without first talking to your witnesses. The key witness in that case is the person whose signature you forged. If he gave permission for you to use his signature, then the DA has no case.

Read more
Answered on 6/19/13, 6:55 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

You want a wild uninformed guess as to jury verdict? Why?

No one can predict or guarantee the jury outcome, no matter what you think the evidence and facts are.

Plus, are you going to wait until the prosecutor puts their best offer on the table and then think you can bring in an attorney to 'better' the deal? That doesn't happen. The deal won't get better. You need to have your attorney work those issues. He'll get a better deal than you.

When charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? Effective plea-bargaining, using those defenses, could possibly reduce the potential ‘time’ and other penalties you face. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, programs, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. I’ll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible, using whatever defenses and sympathies there may be.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 2:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California