Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

If your being charged with a misdemeanor in a county that you havent lived in in 2 years.And you are covicted of this misdemeanor and sentence to jail time and/or probation where would you serve the time in the county you reside in or the county the charge was filed in?(Note the counties are within 20min of each other)

Asked on 10/09/12, 6:12 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

You'll serve in the county of conviction, unless you pay the daily rental price to serve in another county or a private jail, all with permission from the convicting county.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/12, 6:35 pm


You should be ordered to serve your time in the county where you received your conviction. Some counties in the Bay area are transferring probations to the county where probationer lives.

Good luck,


Read more
Answered on 10/09/12, 8:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California