Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I have charged with a penal code 495.5 and am to appear in court next month. it is my first offense. what do I do.

Asked on 1/24/19, 9:12 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Arash Hashemi Law Offices of Arash Hashemi

Hire a lawyer and plead NOT GUILTY.

If you can’t afford an attorney go to court and ask for a public defender.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/19, 9:34 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Either hire an attorney to appear with you if you don't know how to represent yourself, or if you are qualified for the Public Defender ask for one to be appointed, or go appear and throw yourself on the 'mercy' of the court. The first appearance is an Arraignment where you plead guilty or NOT. For this kind of charge, if you have no prior record, the judge sometimes will tell you what the penalty will be if you plead Guilty right then and there. If you agree, take it. If you don't, then get counsel befor the next court appearance that will be set in your case.

Read more
Answered on 1/26/19, 2:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California