Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Charges, forgery,grand theft larsany,and crulety to elders,first time offense.

My mother stole checks from an elderly woman she was working for.She is being charged because of over whelming proof with grand theft larsany,forgery and eldery abuse.This is her first time offense.What should I expect?What kind of time is she looking at?

Is there anything I should or could do?

Asked on 1/20/01, 12:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Victor Hobbs Victor E. Hobbs

Re: Charges, forgery,grand theft larsany,and crulety to elders,first time offens

The information provided is insufficient.

The law turns on the facts. And when sentencing everything can be considered. So all the facts are even more important for sentencing than at the trial. For negotiating a plea the District Attorney considers everything in the police report to be true.

Was there actually physical abuse or was your mother a good care giver? How much money was taken? Over what period of time? And can your mother make restitution? Did Your mother confess when confronted or lie?

Attend court with your mother, and show family support. It helps impress the judge over a period of time.

You haven't given me her age and health. Ill health can be used to avoid jail time. Also depending on her age and health she is going to be under considerable stress. So someone should be with her in court to help her cope.

The jail time, if the D. A. wants some, could be a couple of months in the county jail (local lid). Then public service (or pulling weeds at a local police station during the day and sleeping at home at night). Then community service when the jail time is completed. If a local lid can't be arranged without knowing all the facts she is facing 2 1/2 to 3 years in State Prison. Three years would be served 50% or served in 18 months getting credit for good time work time. The actual prison sentence could be less.

Document all the good acts of your mother by having riends and relatives write letters to the judge. Be sure and document any stress your mother may have been under (financial, health, other conditions) to cause her to go off the deep end.

Lots of luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/13/01, 8:58 pm
Barry Sands Barry Gerald Sands- Criminal Defense Lawyer, Inc.

Re: Charges, forgery,grand theft larsany,and crulety to elders,first time offens

u should get a lawyer for your mother, as i would do for my mother...extenuating circumstances can b brought forth to get a sentence other than me for free consultation...310-201-0909...where is the court your mother will b tried in ???

Read more
Answered on 2/13/01, 9:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California