Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I was convicted of 1st degree Burglary in San Bernardino County, CA in 2007. I've successfully completed five years of felony probation and went to court and had my felony dismissed under Penal Code 1203.4 a. I currently live with my fiance and our 2 year old daughter and work 40 to 60 hours a week. my fiance and I often worry about home defense when I am away I was hoping you could tell me if I can purchase a firearm or if my fiance can and keep it in a safe that I have no access to and if you don't know how would I find out. thank you for any advice you can offer.

Asked on 9/08/13, 1:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

Maybe. I would have to know more details. There is an interplay of federal and state law on the subject.

Read more
Answered on 9/11/13, 8:37 am

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

For a felon or anyone otherwise prohibited from possessing guns under federal or state law, it is a serious risk for him living in a house where there is a gun. He can not even be in the presence of firearms or ammunition without risk of being charged with a felony. I have for years been warning that to be as safe as possible from legal problems when a felon or other prohibited person is present in a house [resides or visits], a gun owner must secure all guns and ammo in a locked gun safe, preferably in a locked room to neither of which a prohibited person has access. Knowingly allowing the prohibited person access to firearms could result in the gun owner being charged with ‘aiding and abetting’.

Read more
Answered on 9/13/13, 2:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California