Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

what happens after dui fine goes to collections? Do I still have to pay for the fine before getting my license?

Asked on 3/27/12, 8:02 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Theresa Hofmeister Theresa Hofmeister, Attorney At Law

Yes. Generally any Failure to Appear (FTA) and/or Failure to Pay (FTP) will be reported to DMV. Once you clear it with the court, the court will issue an abstract (i.e., give you a piece of paper saying the case has been cleared/ closed.) When the FTP is reported as cleared to DMV, you should be able get your license - if that is the only hold on your license. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 3/27/12, 8:46 pm
Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

I agree with Ms. Hofmeister. If not paying the fine is the reason you don't have your license, why should you get a break for continuing not to pay it?

Read more
Answered on 3/28/12, 9:49 am
Andrew Roberts Roberts Law Group


Read more
Answered on 3/29/12, 3:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California