Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Felony Vandalism

Concerning 594(a)(b)(c)PC - I have not been arraigned yet on charges of felony vandalism (at my apartment complex). However, since the complaint stems from private-property damages, what are the chances the DA will drop the charges if I open up mediation with my apartment complex and they do not press charges? I've read the police report and the incriminating ''evidence'' against me is: (a) I was intoxicated, and admitted to being intoxicated;(b) a co-defendent in the case singled me out as the culprit; (c) the security guard identified me as being at the location of the ''said crime'', but didn't specifically say that he saw me do anything.

I have not made any statements to the police at this time - I am due in court in about 2 weeks.

Asked on 7/10/08, 3:58 am

6 Answers from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: Felony Vandalism

IF you can negotiate a full civil compromise with the complaining party, and IF you can convince the DA to accept it and drop the charges [he doesn't have to], you win. The likelihood of you succeeding on your own is less than if you hire counsel to accomplish it. The DA and court will look less favorably on a pro per than on someone who has spent money on an attorney. Sorry, but that's the facts of life. Feel free to contact me if serious about getting the legal help you'll need.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/08, 12:53 pm


Re: Felony Vandalism

Your best option is to get a retained attorney and have it reduced to a misdemeanor. Contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/08, 1:15 pm
Ryan P. McClure The Law Offices of Ryan P. McClure

Re: Felony Vandalism

It makes sense at this point to hire an attorney to help you through the process and potentially get the charges dropped. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 7/10/08, 1:19 pm
Daniel J. Mangan III JuryTrialJustice

Re: Felony Vandalism

Mr. Stone and the others are correct...obtain Counsel ASAP and have Counsel intercede even before the Court date to try to negotiate you out of cannot "DIY" and really expect a beneficial outcome.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/08, 11:54 pm
Jacek W. Lentz Law Offices of Jacek W. Lentz

Re: Felony Vandalism

Felony vandalism is a serious charge. The fact that you are attempting to compensate "the victim" is good but ultimately it does not necessarily affect your criminal case. The sooner you get a good lawyer to intervene in this case and make the best effort possible to prevent charges from being filed, the better.

Feel free to contact me for a free consultation if you are looking to retain a lawyer in Southern California.

Jacek W. Lentz, Esq.


Read more
Answered on 7/11/08, 1:16 am
Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Re: Felony Vandalism

On behalf of my fellow LawGuru lawyers may I congratulate you on your silence and express my hope that you will continue your smart behavior by hiring one of us to accompany you to your arraignment later this month in Superior Court. Please do this well in advance of your court date.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/08, 4:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California