Legal Question in Criminal Law in California


what can i do about a neighbor who has been talking to the manager of the apt completes i live in?? he claims that i am a drug dealer,and that i have traffic all hours of the night.however i am on parol at this time. but i have never been arrested or charged with any kind of drug charge.. is there anything i can do about this matter?? since i dont have a cumputer i am using a freinds. the guy is also telling other neighbors the same thing.. I have been raided by Torrance Police Dept, due to this guy. since i am on parole i am suject to search and seiure.

--name removed--BAUTISTA

Asked on 10/04/07, 9:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Re: Harasment

Your question doesn't say these accusations are false, which leads me to suspect that they're true. If they are then you have nothing to complain about.

Even if they're false you have limited options. A doctrine called the common-interest privilege will make it hard for you to sue for defamation. You may be able to seek a restraining order, though I would need more facts (especially about the manager's reaction and whether the accusations are true) before I could say whether you would have much of a chance of succeeding.

Read more
Answered on 10/05/07, 12:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California