Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

My husband and I were trying to purchase a new home. I got us pre qualified with a lender and had our credit run. There were some items that we needed to fix, and I did this. My husband left our home in Jan, and in Feb I asked the lender to run the credit again to find out if the corrected items had been reports correctly. My husband found out that I ran our credit (joint credit report) and filed a police report against me alleging that I was trying to take out a loan in his name. Of course this is false, and I explained this to the detective. Can my soon to be ex husband pursue some sort of criminal or civil action against me? We are still legally married, and there was never any loan application signed but either of us.

Asked on 5/08/13, 3:40 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

You have the right to obtain a credit report that includes the time you were married. You are only prohibited from obtaining a loan for which he is liable. The exception would be if either of you has filed a petition for dissolution of marriage. There are automatic temporary restraining order that apply to the petitioner when the summons and the petition are filed and the respondent after is served.

Read more
Answered on 5/11/13, 12:33 pm

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I agree with Mr. Johnson. It does not sound like you have done anything wrong.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 11:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California