Legal Question in Criminal Law in California


I received a warrant in my name with this offense what is it and what are the sentencing?

Asked on 2/24/09, 3:13 pm

5 Answers from Attorneys

Solomon Chang Law Office of Solomon Chang

Re: (m)pc273a(b)

Good Afternoon,

California Penal Code section 273 deals with a parent receiving any financial value in exchange for placing a child up for adoption. This can be used in a number of contexts and I don't think we should get into the details of that online.

PC 273 is a misdemeanor in California and it is punishable by imprisonment in county jail not to exceed 1 year or a fine up to $2,500. This is the maximum penalty, however. Chances are any attorney you retain will negotiate for a plea deal with the prosecuting agency.

If you would like to discuss your case any further, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] or by visiting my website at


Solomon Chang

Read more
Answered on 2/24/09, 3:27 pm

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Re: (m)pc273a(b)

"Sentencing" assumes you are found guilty. I don't assume that. Please feel free to call if your case is in SoCal.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/09, 3:38 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: (m)pc273a(b)

False imprisonment, punishable by jail or prison time. If you're serious about getting legal help, and the case is in SoCal, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/09, 4:33 pm
Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: (m)pc273a(b)

It appears that the other attorneys may have misread your question. A copy of the penal code section is copied below. The code section you state has to do with child endangerment. A conviction the this section can have long term consequences. Retain an attorney immediately.

PEN 273a. (b) Any person who, under circumstances or conditions other than those likely to produce great bodily harm or death, willfully causes or permits any child to suffer, or inflicts thereon unjustifiable physical pain or mental suffering, or having the care or custody of any child, willfully causes or permits the person or health of that child to be injured, or willfully causes or permits that child to be placed in a situation where his or her person or health may be endangered, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Read more
Answered on 3/04/09, 10:07 pm
Jacek W. Lentz Law Offices of Jacek W. Lentz

Re: (m)pc273a(b)

This is called misdemeanor child endangerment. You should call around to get a lawyer. I encourage you to contact my office for a non-binding consultation.

Jacek W. Lentz, Esq.


Read more
Answered on 2/24/09, 8:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California