Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I have a parent that is going to fill against me for criminal misconduct of talking to a minor. I ask them if I can do anything for them to not file the charges. We agreed that I can pay for the phone which is $611, but later on they are asking me to pay 1/3 of therapy instead which is around $2500. Knowing that they will fill against me for criminal misconduct of talking to a minor, I hesitated and told them that I will corporate. What should I do?

Asked on 11/19/19, 9:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

You were already told that 'talking' to a minor is NOT a crime, and that this sounds like extortion. if you don't believe what you've been told, you could go ahead and foolishly pay the extortion and all the other follow up payment demands they will make, or you could go talk to local police yourself without disclosing the ID of the supposed victim so that police could answer your questions without being able to take action against you. OR more intelligently, you should hire an attorney to answer your questions, represent you and keep you from further harming yourself.

This advice all assumes you are not actually an internet sexual predator that got caught. If so, definitely hire an attorney to protect you from your further bad decisions.

Read more
Answered on 11/19/19, 12:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California