Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

a police office has asked me to come down for an interview to close a case. should i go or lawyer up?

Asked on 5/16/13, 9:06 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

You should NOT go. When a police officer asks you to talk it means that they don't have a case against you but they are hoping that you will say something that will give them a case. Either ignore them or get a lawyer. If they approach you say you do not want to talk. Also under no condition give them permission to search you, your house, your vehicle, or your property. If they search you anyway do not stop them but make it clear that you are not giving permission.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/13, 9:33 am

Steven Mandell Law Offices of Steven R. Mandell

If you "lawyer up" your lawyer will tell you exactly what Zadik said: Do not talk to the cop. However, with a lawyer, you have an additional level of protection between you and the cop, and many benefits can flow from that. If you'd like to discuss this further, don't hesitate to contact me for a free consultation. Good luck. Steve Mandell 310 393 0639

Read more
Answered on 5/16/13, 9:59 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

'close a case' means arrest you after you 'blab' your way into admitting to facts on some crime they suspect your of.

A little free advice: exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to police or anyone about the case except with and through an attorney. When charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or statement be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or elsewhere are going to effectively help in a legal defense. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, programs, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.

If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible, using whatever defenses and sympathies there may be.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/13, 4:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California