Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Probation Modification

I am on formal probation in CA.I am eligible for a felony reduction and for probation modification.I came to MD to visit family and called San Diego P.O.for permission to stay here. I was told that I was in violation for not obtaining a visit permit and to return to CA to get my probation modified.Is there a warrant out for me because of the violation? Can a lawyer handle things so that I can just return for the court appearance? I have nothing in CA except a long history of drug abuse. I have been clean for 2 years, have a 20 month old baby, have paid my restitutions on a fairly regular basis for over two years, obtained my MD drivers license a few days ago(my first in over ten years) am attending a jobstart program here and just want to build a respectable productive life here around family. Can you help? Thank You!

Asked on 7/27/01, 8:25 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Houman Fakhimi Fakhimi & Associates

Re: Probation Modification

Yes, an attorney can get everything ready for you, including contacting the PO. You should have no problem getting permission to leave the state.

Fakhimi & Associates.

(877) 529-4545

Read more
Answered on 7/27/01, 12:35 pm
Thomas McCarthy, Sr. Thomas McCarthy, Sr., Esq., P.C.

Re: Probation Modification

You have to understand that you are on supervised probation, and not free to do as you please. Whether there is an arrest warrent out for you or not, you must comply with the instructions of your PO. If he says you have to return to CA, that is what you have to do. If you have been cited for violation of probation, a lawyer can help you at a VOP hearing to minimize the impact of the violation so that, ni the future, you may be permitted to live in MAryland. However, no lawyer, in my opinion, is going to schmooze you PO to look the other way at a VOP.

My advice is to first obey the PO. Then seee a lawyer.

Good luck,


Read more
Answered on 7/27/01, 4:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California