Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Can you reduce a misdemeanor (petty theft) to an infraction? I am a minor and this the first time I was held, but I also admitted that I did it before.

Asked on 7/26/13, 7:28 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

If you have no prior theft convictions and the value of the stolen property is less than $50.00 it may be reduced to an infraction. If the value is over $50.00 and you have a good lawyer with no prior convictions, in some counties, you may be able to get diversion, which will not show up as a conviction.

Read more
Answered on 7/26/13, 11:59 pm


Yes, sometimes you can. You may also be able to get a diversion program where you take some classes and when you complete the classes the case is dismissed.

Read more
Answered on 7/27/13, 7:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California