Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

i signed a contract with a landscape contractor who did everything wrong and abandoned the job never to return. I stopped payment on the 2 most recent checks i gave him which had not cleared the bank yet. The complication is that he brought the checks to a liquor store and cashed the checks . . . now the store owner is calling me saying, iI must pay him or he will call the D.A.

Normally, I think this would clearly not be my responsibility, the problem is that on one of the checks, i did not specify a payee and i believe the contractor wrote the liquor store name as the payee, appearing as if i wrote the check to the liquor store.

Do I have to worry about legal action or having the D.A. making me pay ?

Asked on 9/30/09, 10:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


This sounds too similar to a case I have now. What is the name of the construction company?

You must initialte litigation for breach of contact against the company. Contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 9/30/09, 12:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California