Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

my sister recently was charged w domestic corporal injury to cohabitant-spouse and was charged w a felony.shes never been in jail and this was her first time w no other felony priors.she was never offered counsel and was sentenced under felony statutes w a misdemeanor title.ive been through the system in cal and every time i was afforded proper counsel w a felony charge,i feel as though she was railroaded in san joaquin county.can you please tell me the criteria for the way she was suppose to be properly represented.was her due process violated and can she withdraw her deal and not go to jail.....................thanks

Asked on 10/15/13, 12:53 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

She needs an attorney. If she cannot afford one, she should have asked for the public defender. You asking questions on the internet is not a proper substitute for an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/13, 9:33 am

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

I feel like there is something missing in your explanation. But every person charged with either a felony or a misdemeanor who cannot afford an attorney is entitled to an appointed counsel from either the Public Defender's office or the private bar.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/13, 11:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California