Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

suppling alcohol to minors

What is the penalty if an adult is caught suppling alcohol to minors that are not their kids?

Asked on 7/02/03, 2:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Miller Robert L. Miller & Associates, A Law Corporation

Re: suppling alcohol to minors

Thank you for your inquiry.

The law in this area is covered by Cal. Business & Professions Code �25658(a).

Under that statute, minors are not allowed to consume alcohol in the presence of their parents or legal guardian under any circumstances, either on or off a licensed premises, except that a very small amount of an alcoholic beverage may be consumed in a bonafide religious service. The prohibition extends to all locations in the state, not only within a licensed premises. Those furnishing alcoholic beverages to minors face a misdemeanor charge regardless of the location (except as described above.)

As a misdemeanor, this is a crime, and the penalty is a mandatory fine of $1,000 and at least 24 hours of community service, and, in extreme situations, potentially jail time of up to six months.

I hope this helps, but if you have further questions, want more information, or feel that you need legal representation, please feel free to email me directly at [email protected]. I am happy to help in any way that I can.

Read more
Answered on 7/02/03, 9:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California