Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I talked to an individual on a online dating site who identified himself as a 19 years old but later during the conversation he informed me to be 17 years old. I continued the conversation for two days. We have not met. Suddenly his "parents" took the phone and told me that I need to pay them $611 to change the phone otherwise they would fill against me for criminal misconduct of talking to a minor. What should I do.

Asked on 11/18/19, 12:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Probably nothing, except discontinue using 'dating' sites, which today are frequently sex, porn and prostitution recruitment sites and/or police sting sites. There is no crime in 'talking' to a minor, with or without the parents' consent, so long as sexual immorality is not the topic and goal. This sounds like a small scale extortion that you could ignor, and blacklist that phone number and email. There is no cost to 'change' a phone number in today's digital world.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/19, 2:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California