Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Threat made across state FBI or what?

My best friend raised a boy as his, even

tho they are not blood related (my friend's live-in


had an affair).

Since about age 16, the boy's life has been full of


drugs, theft, and assault. One of the assaults may


led to murder (bludgeoning)--police investigation

turned up nothing but a drug deal gone wrong.

My friend moved across the country a number of

years ago

to get away from the whole situation.

The boy, age 26, lives with his mom and still is


into drugs and illegal activities.

The boy called my friend today and said the



''When are you gonna pay my mom the money you


her? We're taking out a life insurance policy on

you, and

I'm taking you out, and we're not going to


That seemed like a very real threat on my friend's

life, and

we both feel the boy is capable of carrying it out!

Can the police DO anything if nothing more than


verbal threat exists and it's across state lines?

Can the FBI do something?

Can anyone take out an insurance policy on


else, without their knowledge?

What legal things can be done at this point?

Asked on 10/03/05, 1:31 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Re: Threat made across state FBI or what?

Call your local police dept., if you have not already done so, and make a report.

Read more
Answered on 10/03/05, 11:49 am

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: Threat made across state FBI or what?

Wherever the boy threatening him is, call the local cops and report the death threat. Also call the FBI to report the interstate 'terrorist' threat. An attorney local to the boy could also file for a civil restraining order; it is useful to put the situation on record. If the boy is in Southern Calif, contact me to discuss if interested in doing so.

Read more
Answered on 10/03/05, 3:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California