Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

okay so last year in the morning theyre were cops who came busting through my house and arrested me...they told me they had a search warrant and they immediatly took me without answering any of my questions...once i was booked in the station the investigator who had gotten a search warrant for my residence put me in a room and read my rights and tape recorded me she asked me do you know why your here and i told her no i havent ever been arrested and she said it has to do with your boyfriend in jail...we believe hes been doing illegal bussiness and i told her what do i have to do with that and she told me we believe you know about it too after 10 minutes of trying to make me tell her something i told her lady i dont know anything and i doubt my boyfriend is doing anything illegal because i would know about after i stayed in the station for a day until my parents bailed me out they gave me a courtdate to appear in court a month later so they can tell me what theyre charging me with...i went to court and they charged me with a misdameanor only for finding brass knuckles in my room which belonged to my dad but they assumed it was mine since it was in my room somewhere in my closet...they gave me 3 years of unsupervised probation and 10 days community service which i finished in a month and then they gave me 10 years of a no contact order on my boyfriend meaning i cant have any contact with him...on my probation papers it just says that for 10 years i cant have any illegal weapons on me and if i do and get caught i will go to jail and this has to do with my boyfriend or wondering is there a way that i can get this no contact order removed because i plan on marrying my boyfriend when he gets out and my boyfriend wasnt even charged with anything when all this happened to me is there anything i can do about this?

Asked on 4/11/12, 11:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

You've left out some rather important details. Because you were sentenced, there must be a judgment against you. What crimes were you convicted of? Did you have a trial, or did you plead guilty (or no contest)? How long ago was the judgment entered? Did you appeal the judgment? If so, what is the status of the appeal?

My best guess is that you pled guilty and accepted the 10-year no-contact order as part of a plea bargain. If that is what happened, there is probably nothing you can do about it now. You may have some options depending upon the details of your case.

Fell free to contact me directly if you want to discuss your case further. I am a certified appellate specialist (per the State Bar of California's Board of Legal Specialization) with many years of experience in both civil and criminal appeals.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/12, 11:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California