Legal Question in Discrimination Law in California

discrimination at the work place (county job) due to physical injury (disfigurem

I want to know whaat I can do to protect myself and sue for discrimination at the workplace, in case they lay me off or fire me before my early retirement date in February...and by the way this discrimination may be linked to vandalism, to my home, personal property and car.

Asked on 7/12/00, 3:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Ferry Law Offices of John C. Ferry

Re: discrimination at the work place (county job) due to physical injury (disfig

To best protect yourself from workplace discrimination you should do the following. Keep a personal log or chronology of all the events which you believe constitute discrimination/harassment. You should include as much detail as you can, including the date, time, location, persons involved and witnesses. YOu should also, however, keep in mind that this document might someday be seen by a judge and read by the jury if you case ultimately goes to trial. Hence, you should keep it factual and objective; do not use expletives or derogatory remarks; and do not 'complain.' That is, you do not want to come across as a whiner or complainer. Second, if you believe you have been discriminated against you should immediately file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and HOusing. Call their local office and tell them you want to make an appointment to present a discrimination charge. If you have been fired by the time you read this, you should still go to the Department, as that is a necessary preliminary to filing a lawsuit.

Read more
Answered on 9/08/00, 7:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in California