Legal Question in DUI Law in California

My husband lost his license in Arizona 25 years ago because he received 3 DUI's (dumb kid). For the last 22 years he has lived in California and maintained a drivers license in Ca. When he went to renew his license in Ca. recently, the Ca. DMV said they could not let him renew his license because the State of Az. has put a hold on his Ca. until he can prove he is worthy of driving in Arizona! He hasn't lived in Az. for 25 years, and has no intention of going back. Is what Arizona is doing to him legal?

Asked on 3/31/10, 5:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

You're not seriously arguing that people who lose their license for drunk driving ought to be able to just go to some other state. That was never the law. It's only recently that the state DMVs have tightened up.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/10, 5:27 pm
Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

You should consult with an attorney in Arizona for help with clearing up the driver's license issue. The attorney in Arizona may be able to have the hold on his driver's license removed. If that fails then you can retain an attorney to research the issue and file a writ to have his license released.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/10, 6:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California