Legal Question in DUI Law in California

I received a DUI a 11 years ago. As part of my probation I had to attend DUI classes. I did and gave all the necessary paperwork to my probation officer. At the time the cost of renewing my driver's license was too high, I had to pay 250 dollars and I was still paying off the ticket, so I opted for a personal license at the DMV as I was moving somewhere that had good public transportation. Well, I went to the DMV recently and said that I never handed in my paperwork for the DUI classes, but I did back in 1998, they just never checked it off that I did. I went to place where I took my DUI classes and they said that they shred the paperwork after 4 years. I went to the courthouse and they had no copy of my certificate of completion, but they said that sometimes the probation office sometimes doesn't bring the paperwork over to the courthouse. I went to the probation office and they said that that case was close and they couldn't help me. Part of my probation was taking these classes and if i didn't wouldn't that mean that there would be a warrant out for me? Doesn't the fact that the probation office closed by case signify I completed my probation? Is it possible to ask a judge to reinstate my license?

Asked on 11/21/09, 2:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bruce Kapsack Kapsack and Bair - DUI Attorneys, Board Certified in DUI Defense

Unfortunately, it is not up to the criminal court judge. You need to go through the Department of Motor Vehicles. This is a long and tough process, since the never admit a mistake. I would advise getting a lawyer to help you.

Read more
Answered on 11/26/09, 3:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California