Legal Question in DUI Law in California

My son received a 502 5 years ago and is now applying for a job where there is a question on the application asking if he has ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony. He did have a attorney, paid his fine, and attended a class as instructed. Is this considered a conviction that must be disclosed?

Asked on 9/01/13, 7:39 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

If he plead guilty or was found guilty to a violation of Penal Code Section 502.5 the answer is yes. But if all he had to do was pay a fine and attend a class I'm not sure that is what happened. He can check the file at the courthouse or call his attorney to check. If he was found guilty he can file a motion pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4 to set aside the conviction and if granted he can legally answer the question, "No."

Read more
Answered on 9/01/13, 8:50 pm


Most people say "502" mean a DUI.

A DUI is usually a misdmeanor, and therefore he would have to answer "Yes" and disclose the conviction.

However, as Mr. Shapiro pointed out, he may have completed his probation (usually 3 years on a 1st DUI), and therefore he is eligible to seek an expungment under PC1203.4. Usually very easy to do, and relatively inexpensive (I charge about $1500 to do these locally).

BUT - I would add, that an expungment only means that the private sector would not see it in a background check, allowing him to legally answer "no" to private employers. Goverment background checks will still reveal the conviction.Talk to an attorney to understand this process better.

Read more
Answered on 9/03/13, 1:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California