Legal Question in Education Law in California

My child did extremely poorly last year in school. She basically failed EVERY class yet ,the last school attended still past her.She is suppose to start 10th grade next week at a NEW school. Can i request that she enrolls as a 9th grader and repeats freshman yr ? is it possible ? please help im in california. thanks !( also the last school she attended - was a online virtual high school ).if that makes any difference i have no clue ?thanks

Asked on 8/13/13, 6:04 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

James Goff James R. Goff, Attorney at Law

You can request from her school district that she be retained. It is not necessarily a good idea. It tends to have a bad effect on her self-esteem. Has she been tested for special education? Why was she attending an online school? It is difficult for a good student to manage an online school unless highly motivated. An average or poor student would not have the necessary motivation to complete school. You should discuss your daughter's education with the school district to get there input.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/13, 11:06 am

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

You may always make a request. But give consideration to the social aspects. Perhaps a tutor might help

Read more
Answered on 8/13/13, 10:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California