Legal Question in Elder Law in California

I am going to be 65 in Dec., and have basically my soc sec for income which barely covers my monthly rent. There are many services that offer discounts for seniors. Nevertheless, my rent is not one of them, and in fact, is being raised again by another $50/per month this year, as will be the case again next year and the year after if past history is any indication. Moving is an expensive option and does not guarantee a better living or financial scenario. My question is whether there is any legal precedent to solicit a court order to discount my rent on a senior-limited-income basis, or at least freeze it. Thank you

Asked on 7/29/17, 11:22 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Gerald Dorfman Dorfman Law Office

There is such a thing as low income senior housing, and you should look for it. You will have to move, and perhaps far from your current location, but it will be n investment in your future financial stability. There is no legal basis to switch your financial problems to your landlord.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/17, 11:46 am
Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

In some municipalities such as Los Angeles, there is a rent stabilization ordinance that limits the percentage of rent increase such as no more than 3% annually. You should consult your local resources to see if there is such ordinances applicable to you.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/17, 12:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California