Legal Question in Elder Law in California

My father was in an accident 2 weeks ago. His memory is shot. He has a pile of bills due and no clue about any of them. I have VERY few details about his finances. I just saw a stack of bills (his bills) that are due. I can't cover it, as I don't have much money, and he has no other family besides me. What can I do about this?

Asked on 4/23/18, 6:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Aaron Feldman Feldman Law Group

If he is unable to manage his finances due to memory/capacity issues, then a conservatorship of the Estate would be in Order; however, there does not appear to be any Estate to manage. It sounds like your father has bills he is unable to pay. You should meet with an attorney and go over all of his income sources, assets and liabilities and see if there are programs he may qualify for (low income housing, etc...) and whether or not a conservatorship makes sense. Perhaps just giving you a financial Power of Attorney may be enough to get his finances in order.

Read more
Answered on 4/24/18, 8:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California