Legal Question in Elder Law in California

My mom has never kept a clean house. Now that she's 92 and of diminished capacity, social workers have told her they will force her into assisted living if the house isn't clean. Can they do that? She's very upset. My brother lives with her and sees to her needs. But house cleaning is a low priority as it always has been.

Asked on 7/29/13, 10:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Aaron Feldman Feldman Law Group

Adult Protective Services will step in and impose a Conservatorship over your Mom if they feel she is living in an unsafe or unhealthy condition. She may be entitled to assistance from IHHS services or other public benefits. Your brother is probably working pretty hard taking care of your Mom; however, housekeeping needs to improve. Maybe you and/or other family members can chip in for a cleaning service?

Read more
Answered on 8/07/13, 2:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California