Legal Question in Elder Law in California

My stepfather left my mother on December 24,2012 after over thirty years of marriage. My mother is now left with rent that exceeds her monthly social security income and she then does not have enough money to buy groceries, pay doctor co-pays, etc. She takes home approximately $700 per month and her estranged husband takes home $1200 per month. They are not legally separated and they are both in their eighties. They reside in California. Is he legally responsible for providing her with financial support. Can we turn him in for abandoning her?

Asked on 6/17/13, 4:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

"We"? "turn him in" ?

To whom?

She can file a divorce or legal separation action seeking spousal support and property division. Hire her an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 2:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California