Legal Question in Entertainment Law in California

Booking Agent

If I wanted to start a booking agent company, is there

any license I am required to have besides a business

license? (California)

Asked on 10/08/03, 9:17 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kim Kirby Davis Dixon Kirby LLP

Re: Booking Agent

Yes. The state of Claifornia requires all agents to be licensed. See the following website:

Good Luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/03, 1:48 pm
Erik Hart Law Office of Erik A. Hart

Re: Booking Agent

Without much more specific information, it's impossible to give an answer for your specific circumstance. You should contact an attorney experienced in entertainment law and business formation in your area.

Be advised however, Talent Agencies, which your business may very well be considered depending on the services you provide, are specialy regulated in California and other states. In part, The California Labor code states that "No person shall engage in or carry on the occupation of a talent agency without first procuring a [talent agent] license therefor from the Labor Commissioner." The law also requires that talent agents be bonded (A minimum $10,000 Surety Bond may be required) with the State of California.

There are most likely other state, county and city licensing and/or tax requirements you must meet depending on the scope and nature of the business you intend to operate, and the cities/state(s) in which you plan to operate.

I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to retain an experienced attorney to help you through the red tape involved.

Read more
Answered on 10/09/03, 1:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in California