Legal Question in Family Law in California

I'm 17 in California and I want to move out to Texas with my friends and her family however my family will not allow it. The legal age to move out in Texas is 17. So if I did move could my parents call the police to send me back home?

Asked on 9/04/21, 12:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Yes, if they act within six months. California retains jurisdiction over minors for six months after they move to another state. This is mainly to prevent parent kidnappings in divorce custody disputes, but it would apply to your situation too.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/21, 5:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California