Legal Question in Family Law in California

Back child support

In my situation, the non-custodial parent did not report dramatic change of circumstances, very highly increased earnings and just quit paying me the $40.00 support every month when she turned 15. She is an adult now, but can I still get the unpaid support even though she is an adult? The order was put down in the state of California.

Asked on 2/22/07, 1:48 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Elizabeth Powell ELizabeth Powell PS Inc

Re: Back child support

This is only a washington question if you domesticated the order of child support here and were enforcing it through this state.

Otherwise, it is a CA question and CA law controls.

You say "she is an adult now" but you don't say how old she is. In WA, you can move to collect on back support for ten years after the child turns 18, and any judgment is extendable after that.

You will have to check with a CA atty to learn what the statute of limitations is there.

Also, you didn't move to amend the order of child support when you learned of n.c.p.'s change of circumstances, and it may well be too late.

Hope this helps - Powell

Read more
Answered on 2/22/07, 11:39 am
Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: Back child support

In California child support is due until paid. There is not statute of limitations on the judgment. The unpaid support is subject to 10% interest from the date it is due until it is paid.

Read more
Answered on 3/05/07, 1:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California