Legal Question in Family Law in California

Hi there. I'm trying to get some basic info... My husband cheated on me and after lies and lies decided to choose his new girlfriend over me and our son. He had been fairly unstable, going from cussing and yelling at me, breaking my computer, punching a hole in the wall to crying, breaking down and then acting normal again. He has been drinking and smoking marijuana much much more than usual. He was a great guy and dad until he started with this girl. This has been a roller coaster this whole year and I finally decided to leave our rented house in California and came out to stay with his mom in New Mexico. He consented to a vacation, but I found a job and free place to live. In a text message he ok'd me to stay here with our son.

What is your advice regarding seperation, possible divorce. Could he force me to move back to California? What about child support? He has yet to agree to an amount and send money. What about visitation if we live in 2 different states?

I just feel that it was the best for my son to get him away from the craziness that had become our life. Here it is quiet and peaceful and he has a great role model in his grandfather. Our son has more love and stability here than he had back home with dad and me arguing etc.

Any advice is appreciated.


Asked on 8/06/16, 10:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Contact an attorney in New Mexico regarding your residency in New Mexico. The attorney should have some experience with interstate child custody cases.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/16, 10:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California