Legal Question in Family Law in California

My boyfriend had a child support hearing and did not claim I lived with him, eventhough I do. He feared his child support would go up as did his parents and previous lawyer because of me living there. I have done much research, and found the only time this would be true is regarding taxes when married and filing jointly or if alimony is involved. He does not pay alimony. Who is correct? I am not paying any of his bills or household bills. His ex knows I live with him . I assume lying was not the best choice? He no longer has a lawyer. He also said, one married my income will be counted then too. Basically, my mere existence in his home (on paper) means he pays more support in his eyes. True or false? Should I move out?

Asked on 6/16/16, 8:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

New spouse is used only for the purpose of determining the income taxed paid by the parent. your income would not matter as it would change his tax status.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/16, 10:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California