Legal Question in Family Law in California

child emancipation

My daughter, who is 16 years old, is involved in the entertainment industry and has an agent, who recommended that she get emancipated so that she can recieve more work. My daughter would still live with me and I would still support her. In other words, nothing would change in our relationship. However, I would still like to be able to keep her on my insurance. My insurance told me that I need to be able to claim my daughter on my taxes in order to keep her on my insurance. Is this true? How does this work?

Asked on 4/18/06, 12:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: child emancipation

There are a number of items that must be considered. First I wonder how much work the agent is talking about for your daughter. Is he attempting to take advantage of her? If she is really going to get a significant income from her work then the loss of your medical insurance would not be a major problem. Before you do anything get an independent opinion from an attorney or another independent party.

Read more
Answered on 4/22/06, 1:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California