Legal Question in Family Law in California

Child Support after high school graduation

There is a huge debate going on in my household. My husband has to pay child support. His daughter is fourteen now. I am telling him that once she graduates high school then child support is terminated. He is telling me that if she decides to go to college then we have to continue to pay! If he is correct can you tell me why? What if she is 30 and still wanting to attend school? Are we still required to pay?

Asked on 4/17/06, 5:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: Child Support after high school graduation

Unless he entered into an agreement to pay for her college expenses he is not legally obliged to pay her college expenses. The court can only order him to pay child support until she is 18, unless she is still attending high school full time. Then support continues until she is 19. There are also some circumstances in which the parent can be required to pay for the support of an adult child that is unable to provide for their owne support.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/06, 3:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California