Legal Question in Family Law in California

First, My child support/Custody is /was handled in California. 2 years ago, I moved to Nevada. My Child (whom I have always had custody of) turned 18 last month and stopped going to school. He refuses to work, refuses to go to school so I am thinking of kicking him out.

He said, If I kick him out, he will go live with his dad.

Father: lives in California, doesn't work but on state disability. Married, spouse doesn't work) Up until he got on disability, he was paying $534/month. No my son get's a portion of his disability as support.

At 18, the support was changed over from my name to my sons name.

QUESTION: If my son chooses to leave home (where court has ordered him to live) and move in with father, can the father take me to court for child support?

I have called the schools and they will not enroll him in H.S. after 18, but he can do Accelerated Learning or GED. Also, he doesn't have the grades to get into collage, pretty much a straight F student.

Asked on 4/29/13, 7:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin

Your son is 18 and not attending school. Legally he is an adult and should not be expecting support from any person other than himself. That being said, review your custody and support order. You should consult with a family law attorney about this.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/13, 7:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California