Legal Question in Family Law in California

I am a US citizen but am no longer a resident, now reside in Australia. I am in USA to visit for 2 months, and I have decided I want to revert to my maiden name as I now have a son and want him to have my maiden name as well. I divorced in 2014 but because I never planned on changing back I marked "n/a" under the name change portion. I tried to go to a local court in Orange County but they refused to give me a court order a. Because I'm not a resident and b. Because my divorce decree is from Washington state. Social security was happy to change it just with the divorce papers anyway but getting a new passport and all banks etc want the name change document. How can I get this changed back legally? At the court they told me a name reversal is $25 but to go get a formal name change is over $400 which I cannot afford. Keep in mind since I am visiting I really have no documents with me.

Asked on 11/08/19, 11:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

There is absolutely nothing you can do about this in California. California has no jurisdiction over your divorce nor a name change for a person divorced in Washington and not a resident of California. You will have to ask the Washington panel if there is anything you can do up there, perhaps by mail or something. California cannot help you.

Read more
Answered on 11/11/19, 2:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California