Legal Question in Family Law in California

I've been court ordered not to leave the county with my daughter until our custody hearing is over. But when it started months ago I told the judge I really wanted to be a the birth of my sisters first child since she has no othe female family. Well, she's due in a week and a half and the matter still isn't settled. Is there anyway to get an exception for just a short time to visit family? I would not be missing any future court dates.

Asked on 6/17/13, 12:02 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher M. Brainard, Esq. C. M. Brainard & Associates - (310) 266-4115

Your best bet, Is to going to court perhaps on the Ex Parte basis and seek permission from the court to leave the state on a very short and temporary basis. If you were forthcoming and honest with the court and do not violate its orders by proceeding procedurally correctly, you will be in better stead then if you simply leave without advising the court. If you leave without advising the court the court will note that you have a tendency of violating court orders and this may be held against you in the future. I do this type if work and can prepare your documents at a reduced rate (typically $500) and if necessary can have myself or another attorney appear in court for a additional fee. My office provides service to corporate as clients at market rates as well as discounted rates for stream lined paralegal document service for low income family law clients - take advantage of this service.

Read more
Answered on 6/17/13, 1:49 pm

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

You may petition the court on an ex parte basis to seek permission.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter or retainer agreement hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 11:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California