Legal Question in Family Law in California

court procedure

i am the plaintiff in an osc to modify visitation and

support on a seven year old divorce. after filing and

serving the defendant i was instructed to go to the da's

office as they could handle this situation for me. i

informed the other party that i would not be following

through with the court hearing. i asked the clerk to

remove it from the calendar, she said she did but it is

still on for the 30th. i did not attend the orientation or

mediation required by our court but the defendant did.

what happens if i don't appear and should i file the

letter from the da's office showing the opening of the

support enforcement case with our court case file?

Asked on 7/24/03, 12:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

E. Daniel Bors Jr. Attorney & Counselor At Law

Re: court procedure

Dear Inquirer:

Nothing herein shall create an attorney-client relationship, unless a written retainer agreement is executed by the attorney and client. This communication contains general information only. Nothing herein shall constitute an attorney-client communication nor legal advice. There likely are deadlines and time-limits associated with your case; you should contact an attorney of your choice for legal advice specific to your personal situation, at once.

If you haven't already done so, please visit my

web site at --

The site contains quite a bit of general information about California Family Law, Tenants' Rights, and Juvenile Dependencies, as well as information about me (education, experience, et cetera) and my office (location, hours, fees, policies).


The facts that you have provided are not clear enough and/or complete enough to provide a definitive answer to you inquiry; however, I would say that, the day before the hearing, you should check with the courtroom clerk or online (if your county provides online calendars) to determine whether the hearing remains on calendar. If so, appear and tell the judge what is going on. Usually DCSS (formerly the DA) and/or Family Support Commissioners do not get involved with modification of visitation orders but rather support issues only. Conversely, the "regular" Family Court will not get involved with support enforcement once a DCSS file has been opened.

Thanks for sharing your interesting inquiry with us on LawGuru, and good luck with your case.

Read more
Answered on 7/24/03, 6:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California