Legal Question in Family Law in California

My co-worker literally gave me her daughter who is 18 yrs. old now and I need to get her back on track with her life. Do I claim her as a dependent on taxes? Do I need any sort of legal document to have her stay with me even though she is 18? I just want things to be legal in all ways possible. We live in CA. Thank you!

Asked on 8/30/13, 1:05 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

If she is 18 you need no legal document for her to live with you any more than any other roommate. You cannot claim her as a dependent on your taxes now that she is an adult, unless she is disabled and you become her legal guardian.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/13, 1:21 pm

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

If she is 18 she is an adult and do as she wishes

Read more
Answered on 8/31/13, 12:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California