Legal Question in Family Law in California

i was devorced in 1999 in LA CA. at the time of our devorce there was a order for child support, set in the pomona court house of los angeles county,, 4 years ago my exwife moved to Florida, I was served with a notice of a hearing in Florida this month ( 4 days before the hearing ) in that hearing she was awarded court/atty fees, child support and medical expences in the form of a wage garnishment.

my question is how is this legal, the order of the court is in LA CA, not florida and i still live in Los Angeles ,, what do i do now, i thought i had the right to state my case to the judge

Asked on 12/31/09, 10:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Your ex pulled a fast one on the Florida court and you. You need to get a Flordia lawyer involved in this right away. You should have done that the moment you got the notice of the hearing instead of just not showing up. You need to get a Florida lawyer to file appropriate papers in Florida NOW. If you wait you may blow the time to undo this. If you were in Florida and the ex had filed in California, I could help you, but this has to be done in Florida by a Florida attorney. If you find one and they need the assistance of a California attorney, then maybe I or one of the other Family Law attorneys here could help you, but call a Florida attorney immediately.

Read more
Answered on 1/05/10, 9:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California