Legal Question in Family Law in California

disowning adult child

Can a parent legally disown a adult child ? An adult child was has been estranged for many years. Who is of sound mind, but he's irresponsible. Someday I may inherit a small amount of money- I want to make sure she can't get any of it, if I'm dead or alive. He's heartless and will stop at nothing in order to gain financially.

Asked on 9/02/03, 3:54 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Donald Holben Donald R. Holben & Associates, APC

Re: disowning adult child

You may take action to specifically exclude a close relative, such as a child in a properly prepared will and/or trust. Contact an attorney practicing in California to help. 800-685-6950

Read more
Answered on 9/03/03, 2:54 pm

Wayne Wisong Wayne Wisong, Attorney at Law

Re: disowning adult child

Sure you can. You just write a will clearly leaving him nothing, and make sure somebody you trust knows about it, or create an inter vivos trust for your assets in which he is not a beneficiary, or put everything in joint name with somebody you do trust or would want to inherit if you die.

If you would like assistance preparing any such documents, I would be glad to assist you. You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Although my practice is located in Georgia, I have been a member of the California Bar since 1979, so your question was referred to me.

Read more
Answered on 9/02/03, 4:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California