Legal Question in Family Law in California

Dissolving a 30 year cohabitation relationship I am 62 he is 77 I live in his house we were never married can he just change the locks and kick me out with nothing do I have any rights?

Asked on 9/16/21, 2:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

In the absence of a cohabitation agreement, or evidence of some other agreement for shared assets or support, I'm afraid, yes, he can. California law is very unfriendly to unmarried cohabitants in the weaker financial position, ever since the elimination of common law marriage in the state.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/21, 4:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California