Legal Question in Family Law in California

I am going through a divorce with a paralegal.. My question is.. we have two children I want to ask for child support. I also make more money than he does by about double.. will he be able to get spousal support from me? if so, how does that work, we both just pay each other or does it balance out? or will one be more than the other?

Asked on 6/09/13, 11:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bobby P. Luna The Law Offices of Bobby P. Luna

Sorry to hear you're going through a divorce. This can be a very difficult time. However, you've asked several questions and the answer depends on too many variables. As such, I will simply provide you with a generalized answer. Even though you make more $$ than your H, he still may be obligated to pay child support. In its most simplest form, the child support calculation will be based on income and timeshare. However, there are many other variables contemplated, within the Code. Spousal support is a different animal. You may be on the hook for some spousal support. In the end, your analysis is correct. If you're obligated to pay him spousal support, that amount could be offset by the amount of child support he would owe you. Hope this helps and if I can be of further assistance, give my office a call.

Read more
Answered on 6/09/13, 11:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California