Legal Question in Family Law in California

Divorce after 20 years

I want to file for a divorce but have limited funds. I have been seperated for over 20 years and would like some form of compensation (Back Child Support, Pain and Suffering, etc) if possible. What procedures would I have to go through in order to secure a Divorce and possible get some kind of settlement knowing he is going to protest? He owned a Business while we were married. We had 3 children during this Marriage and he also fathered another child during this time period.

Asked on 1/08/06, 11:54 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: Divorce after 20 years

Contact the local family law clinic and explain your situation. You may be abel to claim a portion of his business as community property. However, there is no provision in family law for compensation for pain and suffering. Child support can only be obtained by court order and can be ordered for arrears for a short period of time if it can be ordered at all.

Read more
Answered on 1/09/06, 12:21 am

H.M. Torrey The Law Offices of H.M. Torrey

Re: Divorce after 20 years

From the limited facts given so far, you would be entitled to a community property interest in the business your ex owns or owned during the period you were living together as a married couple prior to your separation date. However, pain and suffering damages are not actionable in a divorce proceeding, as California is a "no fault" state. If you would like prompt and very affordable legal assistance in filing for divorce, contact us early this week for a free phone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 1/09/06, 2:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California