Legal Question in Family Law in California

Divorced in Wyoming 2015. He was convicted of child sexual molestation 2012 n is n prison. I moved to California April 2015. I wish to move court from Wyoming to California as all he has to do is write a letter to court to take me back to court. I'm tired of a criminal controlling what happens in raising my child. How do I transfer this divorce from Wyoming to California?

Asked on 3/13/16, 10:19 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock APLC

You need to consult with the Wyoming family law attorney to understand the best way to proceed. Typically all California requires is a registration of the Wyoming order to proceed with further child custody matters in this jurisdiction if you've been here with the child for an excess of six months.

Read more
Answered on 3/13/16, 4:29 pm
Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

There are uniform code provisions in both states for transferring an open custody case to the state in which the child(ren) reside(s) if they move out of the state that originally had custody jurisdiction. You will have to initiate the transfer in WY and then also file in CA to get WY to relinquish the case and CA to take it. This is not something you are likely to have any success with unless you hire a lawyer to help you.

Read more
Answered on 3/13/16, 10:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California