Legal Question in Family Law in California

If an employed female marries a man on unemployment, who is having his child support from another woman, deducted from his check. Is the new wife EVER reponsible for his children's financial support? The bride to be also has 2 of her own children from a previous relationship. Can her childs father pay less because she marries? Is the groom financially obligated to the brides own children?

Asked on 11/28/10, 4:12 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

George Shers Law Offices of Georges H. Shers

The child support judgment is against the man alone, but it will effect you as the amount of money he has will be reduced. your ex-husband can petition the court for a modilfication of child support on the basis your available income has increased. even wilthout adoption of the children from the prior relaltionship, the groom owes a financial duty to the minor children.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/10, 7:32 pm

Tina Chen Law Office of Tina Chen

New spouse income is only included in calculating child support for tax purposes (it may put you in a higher tax bracket, causing you to pay more taxes and overall make bring home less money). Your new spouse's income is not considered your income. Just because you get married does not mean the father of your children does not need to support his kids. Good Luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/10, 3:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California